Here at CUCC, we have a caring group of teachers who love to explore our faith with children. Using the Bible, other wisdom stories, and focusing on the teachings of Jesus, we learn interdependence, justice issues, self-awareness, respect for nature, stillness, forgiveness, prayer, meditation, and integrity.
For progressive Christians, childhood education is about creating a safe environment where children learn the stories of faith, but even more, it’s about children knowing they are loved by their teachers and their church community.
In response to the Covid-19 quarantine, our Sunday School teacher, Rayah Dickerson, has created a series of kid’s videos focusing on justice issues and faith. Check out her video lessons below. PS – you don’t have to be a kid to learn from Rayah’s videos!
Children’s Justice Culture Series:
- Forgiveness and Healing – This week we talk about forgiveness and healing, hear a story about a lion, and get a new coloring page! Click here to watch this lesson and here for the coloring page.
- Telling the Truth in Love – During this lesson, Rayah talks about the truth and telling the truth in love by using Ephesians 4:25 as the scripture: So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another. She also tells the story of The Gardener. Click here to watch this lesson.
- Connecting Through Kindness – Hello friends! Today we are talking about connecting to each other through kindness! We will go over the story of the Good Samaritan and also make a simple craft! Click here to watch this week’s video lesson.
- Today is our first Sunday of Black History Month! We’ll talk about Fred Hampton and building community through service. We’ll talk about the following two verses while we learn how to serve each other: Matthew 25:35-40 and I John 3:18. Fred was a part of the group called The Black Panthers – just like Angela Davis. Click here to watch this lesson.Final Art Week! This is our last week! Only one word – Heart. We wanted to give you this whole week to finish up and send in art from ANY day and Rayah will make one big slide show of just the art from all month! Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Watch the final week’s word here.
- Create a New Year – Week 5 – It’s our last full week of creating! This week we work on the words: Laugh, Opposite Day, School, Potatoes, Grow, Puzzle, and Dinosaur. If you create something – send it in via email: email@example.com or post it on social media with the hashtag #CreateANewYear. At the end Rayah will make a final round up video of all of our creations so there is still time! Watch this week’s video here.
- Create a New Year – Week 4 – This week’s words: Create, Martin Luther King, Jr. Quote, Popcorn, Penguin, Hug, Voice, Pie! Watch this week’s video here.
- Create a New Year – Week 3 – This week’s words: Plant, Morse Code, Black, Dream, Hot Air Balloon, Hat and Dragon! Watch this week’s video here.
- Create a New Year – Week 2 – This week’s words: Grow, Pasta, Clouds, Cuddle, Pirate, Community and Cook. Watch this week’s video here.
- Create a New Year – Week 1 – This week’s words: Rainbow and Smile. Watch this week’s video here. See below for an introduction into January’s kid videos.
- Create a New Year – January is International Creativity Month and so Rayah thought the kids could do something REALLY cool and flex our creativity as we go into 2021! 2020 has been really wild and scary at times. So let’s start off this year with some ART! Because this is going to be a month long project, this short video will explain what we are doing so you have a chance to think about it and get ready! If you want to share your art, have your parents email Rayah! firstname.lastname@example.org Here is the graphic of the prompts for the month: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QRQ4…
- Bucket Drum Build – This week we are building a bucket drum for taking to protests and marches. Sorry for the background noise, thats life around my house some days :-). Check out the video here. Click here for a coloring sheet to plan your bucket decoration!
- Amira Stanley – Amira Stanley is our Minister of Justice and Witness at Clackamas UCC. She is also a Death Doula and a Mindfulness and Meditation Coach. Download the coloring sheet here. Then watch the lesson here.
- Pastor Reggie Richardson, Jr. – Today we talk with Pastor Reggie Richardson Jr.! This video is the fourth video in our kids Justice Culture series! Download the coloring sheet here. Click here to watch this lesson.
- Susan La Flesche Picotte – Susan was awesome and the first indigenous person to become a medical doctor in the United States! Download the coloring page here. Then click here to watch the video.
- Mac Smiff – In this lesson we are listening to Mac Smiff talk about his work toward defunding the police.
Click this link to download the coloring sheet. Then watch Rayah’s video at this link.
- Angela Davis – This video is the first in our kid’s Justice Culture series! Today we learn about Angela Davis and the amazing work she did in Civil Rights. Download the Angela Davis coloring page here. Then click here to watch the video.
In addition, Rayah is an amazing artist that we are grateful and blessed to be the recipient of (see her artwork on the coloring sheets and our fundraising t-shirts and mugs!).
We currently are not meeting in person because of the pandemic, but on a typical Sunday, our Sunday School meets during worship from 10:50 to 11:30. Children spend the first 20 minutes of worship with their families and then are invited to go to church school. Activity bags are available for children in the entry way. The first Sunday of each month we have a intergenerational Sunday where kids stay in throughout the service and help with various aspects of the service, including communion. The nursery is available every Sunday for ages 1-4.